Monday, August 31, 2009

Mirepoix (meer-pwah)


The second most important contribution of flavor to stocks is aromatic vegetables ... Mirepoix! Specifically it is a combination of onions, carrots & celery. The ratio is 50% onion to 25% carrot to 25% celery. Knowing and mastering the technique for stock making is critical in order to move onto the next phase... sauces. If you have a cruddy stock, you'll have cruddy sauces! Big quiz in the morning on White Stock, Brown Stock, Vegetable Stock & Fish Fumet! Know the cooking times, know the specific preparations for each, be prepared to write all that down. I'll hope that this quiz goes as well as the last!


Following the Stock demonstration today we had a little glimpse of what our knife cutting test might be. The quick start challenge!! We were given 25 minutes to do the following:


Choose one Potato & Cut 8 Tournes
Choose one Carrot & Cut 10 Juliennes & Cut 10 Batonnets

CRAP!! Hate to say that I did NOT finish! Only 5 Tournes and they were not the most lovely and my Batonnet's (1/4" x 1/4" x 2") were too large (closer to 3/8")!!! I have some SERIOUS cutting to do!! It didn't help that my hand (which now seems to be arthritic) began to cramp as I held that tournet knife attempting to get seven sides to that turned vegetable. The whole time the clock is ticking away and Chef is walking around reminding you of the remaining time. WOW, just a little bit of stress!



My explorations of Atlanta continue and this weekend I had a chance to visit the Dekalb Farmers Market. I must say that I have NEVER seen such a display of items under one roof! It's a 140,000 sf indoor market!! That is slightly bigger than a Sam's Club location, their typical footprint is 110,000 to 130,000 sf. This place will put you on sensory overload! They have nuts, grains, coffees. Fresh vegetables, fruits, cheeses, fresh baked breads and pastries. An extensive beer and wine section as well as a restaurant. But I have to say that the BUTCHER Shoppe and the FISH Market are wonders my eyes had not seen. If you closed your eyes you might think this fish market was in Seattle or Portland, Maine! Live fish, live lobsters and Blue crabs. They will fillet the fish for you or you can do it your self. The Butcher Shoppe has chicken, beef, pork, lamb, veal... you name it it's there. The only complaint ... it was SO COLD IN THERE I was one big goose bump!!! Thought I was outside without a coat in South Bend on a brisk January morning! Can't wait to make my next visit with a jacket and hot cocoa (even if it is 85 degrees outside!)! Check out the website and be sure to put it on your "places to see" list when you visit Atlanta. http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/.


Thanks for checking in!

1 comment:

  1. I'll keep my fingers and continue cuttin the old-fashioned way! Good to hear from you and glad to know you are out exploring the sites of Atlanta - all's well on Longfellow and M and B are behaving properly! Chat soon, kathye

    ReplyDelete