Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ahh Siesta!

As la Americana I have an internal struggle with the idea of the Italian Siesta. As a past business owner, I find it to be a wonderful invention in the middle of the day! A time to rest, recollect thoughts, nourish the body and prepare for the end of the day. As a part time tourist and student, it requires planning on my end to complete the things I may need to during a given day! Anytime from around 1:30PM to nearly 4:30PM daily business' and shops will close up to partake in this ritual.



I find it interesting that in so many countries around the world the "siesta" is practiced. And somewhat distressed that it is not a practice for America. I suppose it is because life moves too quickly for we Americans and there is a fear of missing something by participating in the "siesta" mindset.



The air is so incredibly fragrant right now here in Sorrento. I have l'arancio (orange) trees blooming outside my window across the courtyard. And glicine (wisteria) is simply in bloom everywhere! The fresh smell that the ocean breezes blow in are also wonderful. While I would likely never have the nerve to move to a foreign country, this lovely spot on the Mediterranean certainly provides a tempting place to let that dream ignite!





As there are students in and out of the program here we are currently running with a total of seven students right now. Three that are in the later portion of the rotation, meaning they are working in local restaurants and the four of us are working in the kitchen on site. And while the jury is out on these folks I will say that I am fascinated that no matter where you go you run into the same type of people. We have a "know it all" and "negative nelly". A "princess" and your typical "party animal". I am certain that these six individuals will generate some interesting stories as I move through my time here!



My specific rotation of Italian Cucina is shared with three young men from Le Cordon Bleu in Chicago. Like me, two of them are Certificate, the other an Associates Degree student. It has been interesting to hear their perceptions of the program and to share how things are done in Atlanta. LCB corporate has been working hard to make the programs the same from school to school but Chicago does do things differently than Atlanta. And since Chicago was my other school location of choice it was nice to hear about the program. They had the same struggles that we had regarding the knucklehead brigade and such. I don't believe my experience would have been much different had I chosen the windy city.




Today I had my first experience with doing laundry in a foreign country. I must also admit that I have never used a laundromat... ever since my under-ware were stolen from the Harrison Hall Co-ed "laundry" room while attending Purdue University I have steered away! Additionally, having an 18 year career in the major appliance industry selling/marketing laundry equipment has made me leery of trusting just any machine to wash and dry my clothing. But it turned out just fine! I'll say that having to carry dirty laundry for nearly a mile isn't so fun but I managed. Every pair of under-ware and each sock came back with me!





A tragedy DID occur upon my return from wash day to the villa however. My glasses.... those silly prescription eye adornments that I need to SEE things with... are no longer! I was wearing them in the collar of my shirt and shifted my laundry basket during the mile trek home and the right ear piece popped right off!! NO POSSIBILITY OF BEING REPAIRED!!! OMG!! Now what?? I was proactive enough to pack a pair of "Cheaters", at the last minute I tossed them into my carry one bag. They could be a bit stronger and because of that, tomorrow I am on the hunt for some stylish Italian 1.50% reading glasses.



I have decided that buying wine in the .750 liter size is really a waste! Every other day I have been stopping at the market and picking up a bottle of wine to enjoy in the evenings. This is a common and frequent process of mine. I do this at home in the states and here in Italy. I might also add that the wine here does NOT give me headaches or any ill effects... Well, one day I discovered a little wine store just up the street.... Bacchanalia ... they sell wine in 5 liter jugs!!! Now this is not "jug" wine as you might imagine .... this stuff is GOOD! And, it's only 10 euros! I figure with this little find I will save at least 8 euro a week!! SPLENDID!!




When you click on the photos link you will have a chance to enjoy my photos from Pompeii. What a marvelous experience I had last Saturday!!! I road the train from Sant'Agnnelo to Pompeii Scavi station. Hopped off and entered the ruins of Pompeii. The photos don't do the place justice, it is breath-taking & eerie all at the same time. To realize that an entire community and 100's of people (perhaps more?) perished in such an unimaginable way is overwhelming. There is evidence of civilization as early as 200BC. When Mt. Vesuvius erupted on 24 August 79AD the sudden tremor interrupted the daily routine of the residents of Pompeii. The cloud of ash and lampilii (little stones) some three meters (nearly 12 feet) deep covered the city in just a few hours, it was completely submerged. Then the pyroclastic (hot gas and fine ash) began to flow. This gas clogged the lungs of those who had survived the initial blow and literally suffocated them. Before it was all done Mt. Vesuvius dumped a total of 5-6 meters of ash and rock upon the city of Pompeii. Ceasing it's existence. Today it exists because of painstaking digging and archaeological discoveries. Go Indiana Jones!! I understand that Herculaneum is even more remarkable.... I'll let you know!

Al vapore di carciofo e patate (Steamed artichokes & potatoes)

3 T. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed (to release flavor)
6-8 small artichokes, outer leaves & top removed to expose heart
2 medium sized yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup vegetable stock (or use vegetable bullion)
1/2 cup white wine
Salt & Pepper

Heat olive oil and garlic until aroma begins. Add the artichokes & potatoes. Stir in the vegetable stock and white wine, salt & pepper. Simmer on low until vegetables are tender. Check seasonings & serve warm with drizzle of Olive oil.


Buona notta cari amici!











1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! Pictures are gorgeous. We have been to Venice, Rome & Tuscany and I'm ready to go back. When you get home, perhaps you can start a grass-roots movement for that whole siesta thing - great concept! Really enjoying your posts, Carolyn. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete