Friday, May 28, 2010

Things I am missing....

I woke up Monday morning and decided that I was a bit homesick... It had finally happened. I realize that for many of you this may seem odd. She is in a beautiful place, a foreign country that conjures up all kinds of romantic thoughts about art, history, food, men... what could possibly make this woman homesick? I miss my stuff, my family, my little furry friends ~ George & Olive, my people friends.... These longings for the familiar bring me also to a list of other items I miss about America ... home.



  • Venti sized Starbucks Coffee (Italian Roast of course)

  • Chips & Salsa

  • Guacamole!

  • Ranch salad dressing

  • Driving my car

  • Hamburgers with MUSTARD!

  • Ice Cold Skim Milk!


It's odd that such silly things could be so easily missed. Honestly, Ranch Dressing? Last week I was really hungry for a big tossed salad (yes, a bit tired of pasta & pizza) and went to the local market to pick up some veggies. I then stopped by the grocery store to grab some croutons & dressing. NOTHING in the way of dressings beyond vinegar & oil!!! I was so distressed! Not even any mustard to concoct something in the kitchen here. How can it be that Italian's don't enjoy any type of salad dressings beyond the olive oil & balsamic vinegar so prevalent in this country? It's likely another reason why Italians seems so much healthier.



One thing I have not missed is "Patatine" or potato Chips! They remain a weakness of mine, even in Italy! I continue to indulge and nibble on them from time to time. Chef Biagio likes to tease me by attempting to take them when I am not looking. He's such kidder! If he only knew that getting between me and my chips could mean war!



My time at the restaurant has been enlightening. I knew from the start that working the line in a high pressured restaurant was not what I wanted from this career change. This experience has simply confirmed that fact. I would like to do some catering, work for a country club, teach some classes & maybe work with recipe testing and such. There are so many other things involved with food that it is silly to lock into the restaurant when that is not your passion. If I were 20 years younger my perspective on this might be different but some how I don't really think so. The high pressure of the "rush" has never been interesting to me. I remember my food service classes at Purdue 25 years ago and experiencing this same reaction. My hat goes off those those who do choose this path with a Culinary career! They are the ones who make it happen when we all head out to our favorite restaurants.



Il Buco (The Hole) is a wonderful restaurant. The team there has been very kind to me. Only one Chef there speaks fluent English & while my Italian classes did help me with some basics they were not enough to prepare me for the whole experience. I find myself constantly asking for more explanation and "piano, piano" ... "slowly, slowly" so that I can get a better understanding of what they are attempting to tell me. It's frustrating for me & I am sure for them as well. If I am sent to the cooler for something that I am not 100% sure of I may come out of the walk-in with two items and give the "this or this" hand motion. There have been times when I am sent to retrieve something and simply can't find it. I'm generally in there longer than normal and Uri (the young man who is in training in the kitchen) is sent to find me & the item I am to be getting. It can be embarrassing and I just shrug and hand the needed request over to the chef. I am learning a ton and grateful that they are patient with me. The Chef will say "Darling, can't you stay and work until September" (the end of the tourist season) .... I must be doing somethings right!!


"Darling" ... "Girl" ... these are common terms I have heard since being here in Italy. I can't begin to express how lovely it sounds with an Italian accent so you'll just have to take my word on this one! To some it may seem condescending but I hear it as a term of endearment and simply accept it. The thing that can be rather un-nerving is the frequent slowing down of cars and the staring that occurs as they drive by, the beeping & the waving of Italian men at American women. Sometimes I feel as if I am from another planet ... I don't think that I look all that different than any other girl that walks through town. Nor do the other girls from Mami Camilla's. Perhaps it's simply obvious we are tourists and they want to make us feel welcome...?


On Saturday I went to Napoli (Naples) for the day with 4 other students. It was a girls day out and we had a ball! We took the ferry across the bay into the city and using a guide book took a walking tour through one of the oldest and most historic sections of the city. We traversed past Castel Nuovo and Fontana di Nettuno, Naples' finest baroque fountain, and on to the narrow streets of the city. If you take a moment to view my photos you will see shots of Basillica di San Giorgio Maggiore, the Duomo, Cappella Sansevero & Chiesa del Gesu Nuovo. After a little nibble on baba and other local pastries we took a trip through Napoli Sotterranea (Naples Underground). This underground world had once been the aqueduct water system for the Romans & those who resided in the city of Napoli until the mid 19th century. During World War II this space served as a bomb shelter and "home" for many of the Italian refugees.


After a long day of walking and seeing the sites we stopped at Pizzeria da Michele for a bite of their famous pizza! You get two choices at this vintage spot, Margherita or Marinara. We showed up, took our ticket and waited our 30 minutes hanging around outside until lucky #73 was called! I have to say that the pizza was good but it's not the best I have had since being here. It was a bit too soggy in the center for my taste as I like my crust crunchy and crisp.


There is a "wanta be" romance going on here at Mami Camillas Cooking School. A young woman arrived from Chicago 2 weeks ago and one of the guys who has been here since April has become rather smitten with her. In all honesty they would make a cute couple but the problem is she is not at all interested. Because this place is small and everyone is generally together ~all the time~ doing something ~ it's hard to escape the ensuing drama unfolding before me. He is talking with her room-mates to work that angle. She is asking her room-mates what to do and how to dis-interest him? She doesn't encourage him but she doesn't go out of her way to be rude either. That may be what happens next as he just isn't getting the hint!



My experience here is reaching the end. It's hard to believe that in less than 3 weeks I will wake up in my own bed in Atlanta, GA. I'll keep you posted on my final adventures here in Italy! There are still things to see, things to eat & wine to drink!


Ciao!


Arancini di Riso



  • 500 grams rice (use Arborio, type for risotto)

  • 60 grams pecorino cheese, grated

  • Saffron

  • 3 eggs

  • 100 grams fresh peas or frozen peas, blanched

  • 20 grams fresh mushrooms, chopped fine

  • 1/2 liter bechmel sauce

  • 5 T fresh basil, chopped

  • Salt to taste

  • 120 grams mozzarella cheese (diced into cubes)

  • Flour for dredging

  • Egg, beaten for dredging

  • Bread-crumbs for dredging

  • Vegetable or Sunflower Oil

Make the risotto rice using water or vegetable stock. Add Saffron. When rice is done add bechmel sauce. Allow it to cook a bit then pecorino cheese & beaten eggs. Mix well.


Form balls using your hands (2" diameter). You may want a bowl of water to help limit the stickiness and to create the smooth ball. Using your fingers make an indentation in the center of the ball. In the center of the ball stuff a few peas, chopped mushrooms, mozzarella cube & basil. Seal the ball back up.


Dredge the ball in flour, dip in mixed egg and roll in breadcrumbs.


Fry the balls in hot oil. Either using a stock pot full of oil or a large amount in a frying pan. Fry them until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towel and serve while hot.


Serving options:



  • Topped with a bit of tomato sauce

  • Chopped tomatoes, basil & olive oil

  • Cheese sauce using a bit of remaining bechmel sauce

Buon Appetito!













1 comment:

  1. Love this Carolyn! Imagining everything your doing is such a treat. My desire to go to Italy is stronger than ever. Hope you can come to Michigan soon so we can hear more and more about your experiences. Safe travels home! June

    ReplyDelete