Sunday, January 17, 2010

Time to play Catch-up!

Hello dear Friends & Readers! I am so very sorry for being absent for so long. Wish I could say that it was something groovy like writers block but honestly... the fall funk held on longer than normal and I have simply been lazy about communicating. Please forgive me. I have heard from many of you who are missing the antics of the class and the laughs that the knucklehead brigade can provide. Let me try to bring you up to speed!



Foundations III ended just before Holiday break. The class focused on proteins and plate presentation. Our chef was a character and very knowledgeable about meat and butchering techniques. We learned the complete structure of each of the main animals, Beef, Veal, Lamb & Pork. Additionally, we fabricated chicken (fancy term for "cut-up") and also had the opportunity to reduce the primal cuts of the other animals into secondary cuts such as steaks, tenderloins, chops, etc. We also learned how to make sausage and other charcuterie techniques.



Charcuterie (sar ku teri): French from chair 'flesh' and cuit 'cooked'. Is the branch of cooking devoted to the prepared meats such as sausages, bacon, ham, pates, terrines & confit, primarily from pork. Charcuterie is part of the garde manager chef's repertoire. Originally intended as a way to preserve meat before the advent of refrigeration. Prepared today for their flavors. .... Thank you Wikipedia!





A new character introduction.....an individual called "Mittens". Now, I have spoken of Mittens in the past, he just didn't have a name. He sat next to me in the first class and had difficulty understanding the concept of pushing in his chair & or moving it to the side of the room for knife skills practice. Why "Mittens" you might ask? I can't take credit for coming up with this name... Chef did. See, this young man is afraid of burning his hands or cutting himself (both known hazards of this profession!). So, he wore this large mittens (think hot pad mitten with fingers) to in class one day. Chef nearly came unglued! Coined the name and told him to take the damn things off! And Mittens was born! Now, Mittens has a difficult time being on time to class. He also eats as if the food we prepare is his only meal of the day (who knows, it might be?). And it seems he needed to have more sleep one day during class. Buckhead Beef, located here in Atlanta, is part of Sysco Food company and one of the largest purveyors of meat in North America. The week before Thanksgiving we viewed a video by them on Meat Fabrication. Chef turned down the lights so that the TV Screens were easier to view. The movie is unfolding and Manny the Butcher is skillfully fabricating a side of beef into the main primal cuts and smaller secondary cuts. He is able to do this in an amazing 45 minutes! All of the sudden.... a ruckus comes from the back right-hand corner of the room. The metal legs of chairs are banging together, the sound of the plastic trash can hits the floor, quickly followed by a large THUD. It seems Mittens fell asleep! He slid off the chair into the trash can and onto the floor. The fun never stops!





Toward the middle of Foundations III, chef stopped forcing us into groups. We were able to find our own "team" and it remained that way through the balance of the class. Army Guy, Bride2B, Chick-fil-A & I grabbed our bench and created our little foursome. (Now, I must insert a slight wrinkle here.... Army Guy requested a name change. So, to honor that request I am now calling him "Sarge"). The four of us rotated into groups of two and for the most part worked very well together. We are all perfectionists and work hard for the grade. Three of us are "pleasers" and respectful of each others ideas. One of us is used to being in charge.... that dynamic created some stressful moments in our little group. Toward the end of the rotation the team began to crumble and we were all ready for the Holiday break. The old saying there is no "me" in team didn't always hold true.... there certainly was an "I". Sarge has made amends and has asked the three of us to work on a project with him this rotation. He purchased a fresh ham and we are working together to cure it. This is an extension of the ham-butt rather than the olive branch.... I must say that it is rather appropriate choice! :)





Bride2B and Chick-fil-A continue to give me such a boost! They are both so positive and genuine. I pray that the three of us will keep in touch and follow-up with each other when this process is complete. They are both twenty years younger than I and have a much longer career in this industry to look forward to. I'll be eager to watch how they progress. Bride2B has changed her program to the Certificate in Culinary Arts rather than the Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) degree. She has a Bachelor of Arts degree from a distinguished University & like me decided that the Certificate would deliver her what she needs to build this career. Actually, several other students have come over to my side since the program began in August. I was the only one and now there is a small band of 6 fellow certificate folks in this rotation. Just think if the VP of Admissions would have had to come up with 5 other cut guides and complete tool kits at the beginning?? At least I don't feel like such a step child these days!! Ha!





The final for Foundations III had four parts. A Mystery Basket, Knife cuts, Chicken Fabrication & a written final. Because there were so many students and so few ranges to cook with, chef divided the class into groups and we rotated days for the Mystery Basket & Knife/Chicken portion of the final. I cooked on Wednesday & cut on Thursday. My Mystery.... pork tenderloin! Unlike in Foundations II we were able to decide our own starch and vegetable to complete the plate. My creation.... Mustard encrusted Roast Pork tenderloin with a sherry mustard sauce, Risotto with spinach & sauteed asparagus with red peppers. We were to incorporate 3 cut techniques.... mine were chiffonade spinach, brunois & julienne peppers. I began my test at 7:10AM and was to present my plate to Chef at 9:10AM. My pork was a little over done but still moist and the sauce was DEELISH! All in all I earned the grade I was working toward and left that morning feeling pretty good.







Thursday, I get up, get ready, am feeling calm and prepared for the knife cut / chicken portion of the exam & head out the door. I arrive as school at 6:50AM WITHOUT my knife kit or my jacket! WTF??? I have NEVER done such a thing and it's pretty hard to cut up a chicken without a knife!! Now, I knew from the previous day that Chef did not begin that exam until 7:30AM. If I could get back to my apartment, grab my gear and get back to school by 7:30 I would be OK. It's a twenty minute drive one way..... I had JUST enough time. I got back home, ran in, got my stuff and returned. I walked into class at 7:32AM. They had just begun. Chef scowled at me and sent me to the back of the room. After several deep breaths and a settling of my nerves (so not to cut off a finger) I began. The exam.... cut 10 each of Julienne, Fine Julienne, Battonet, Brunois, Fine Brunois, Small dice, Medium dice, Paysanne, Lozenge & 4 tournes. Then, fabricate 1/2 a chicken into a boneless airline breast, tenderloin, bone in leg & thigh, wishbone, wing. Pulled out an "A" even with all the self induced stress. Upon completion I apologized to chef for my tardiness and he just shook his head and said... You? You are never late? What happened? He got a good giggle out of my bubble brunette behavior!



The class finished and off we all went for Christmas break. It was a much needed separation for me. I worked a little part time job during between Thanksgiving & Christmas so my holiday was a bit different. Was able to spend time with friends for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day here in Atlanta and that made the events special and the missing of family more bearable. On December 27th George, Olive & I hit I75 North and drove home to Indiana for a surprise visit to see Mom. Had to come clean about my surprise arrival as the weather was full on BLIZZARD mode by the time I got nearer to Northwest Indiana. In fact... the snow began as I crossed the Ohio river out of Louisville, KY. Welcome home!




I have started my new rotation.... Baking & Pastry. More to come!

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn - loving your posts and your progress. I also enjoy all of the nicknames you've assigned to your classmates....what name have they assigned to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I've missed Carolyn's humor!Am glad to have my friend back...keep the tips and ancedotes forthcoming....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that the most fun part of your blog is reading those nicknames that you come up with for your classmates! Now that I have had the pleasure of being a part of your life in Atlanta for a few days, I must also say that my other favorite part of your experience is having you COOK FOR ME! Yahoo Carolyn and thanks for the great weekend! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete